Dropdown Menu

Dec 24, 2011

CLINICAL OBSERVATIONS -Some kinds of Paralysis, Chorea, and Epilepsy: By Dr. Th. Rueckert Case 2

 This Article was published in "THE BRITISH JOURNAL OF HOMEOPATHY VOL 23".

Some kinds of Paralysis, Chorea, and Epilepsy
By Dr. Th. Rueckert

Case II.—A tailor, aet. 40, tall, of strongly marked phlegmatic temperament, hitherto always healthy, had about Christmas suffered from erysipelas of the head, which was improperly treated, and left behind it the following horrible symptoms, from which he had been suffering for six weeks, all the time treated with the greatest care by an allopath; but all in vain, so that the patient dismissed his doctor.

The morbid picture we observed on the 25th February, 1863, was the following:—I went to see the patient, who lived at some distance, and found him in a small, narrow room, in which he could scarcely turn, lying naked in a miserable bed, emaciated to the last degree; the countenance expressive of pain and despair; the head, arms, and legs in constant movement; the hands constantly wringing, and he constantly groaning and crying, " Oh my God ! what will become of me" He then, with a loud distinct voice, repeated the Lord's prayer, some verses of hymns, and the introductory prayer to the communion. In this state he passed day and night, he had no sleep, indeed his uneasiness grew worse at night, he wanted to get out, in fact he leaped out of bed several times, and required people to watch him. When I spoke to him he recognized me, and reached out to me; he answered all questions properly, and begged me to relieve him of his painful anxiety. When I took hold of his hand to feel his pulse and observe the play of the tendons, he drew it hastily away from me, because his anxiety increased when he was held. He had little appetite, and had to be fed, because he could not hold the spoon, and carry it to his mouth. His bowels were rather costive, urine normal. 

Prescription. Cupr. 6 in solution, for twenty-four hours. I did not see the patient again for several months, but received reports from the parish officer, under whose care I had left him.

1st March.—He has been better and worse, at night he has always most restlessness, but the movements of the limbs are not so violent, there is less anxiety, more appetite, bowels more regular. Cupr. as above.

3rd March.—On the 1st, at 3 p.m., he was bad again, he would not allow the bed clothes on him, wished to jump out of bed, complained of internal heat, and had much thirst. His bowels were opened by a simple clyster. He continued the Cupr. 

11th March.—No material improvement, the patient complains chiefly of internal heat, his bowels are confined, and he says he feels as if the limbs were twisted. He has often burning in the soles of the feet. He has little sleep and after sleeping is more restless, but not so much so as formerly, he speaks quite rationally. In consequence of the peculiar sensation in the belly, the constipation and the burning of the soles, I now (as nothing more was to be expected from Cupr.) gave him Nux Vom. 6 and 30, a dose to be given every other evening.

16th March.—The day before the medicine arrived he was quite quiet, had appetite, sleep, and only one hour of restlessness at night. After the first dose of Nux he had more excitement, two hours of nocturnal restlessness, and mental disturbance, but the following day he was better; the bowels are still costive.

On the 18th March, I sent Argent nitr. 12, 1 dose to be taken in solution.

27th March.—The patient slept for some hours at night, had appetite for his food, regular bowels, the anxiety has gone off, he often sits up in bed and reads, and only now and then he has twitchings in the muscles. He complains of great weakness, but starts at every little noise. I sent him now 3 doses of Ignatia 12, one daily.

9th April.—The improvement advances, digestion good, he lies quietly with his clothes on, can also go to the water closet, does not sleep by day, but at night for hours at a time, still complains of great weakness and tearing in the legs. To complete the cure I sent one dose of Sulph. 30, to be mixed with three spoonfuls of water, half a spoonful twice daily.

Up to the 19th July, when I was able to visit him, I heard that he kept well, and then I found him sitting up in his room at the spinning wheel, looking stout and pleased. He had nothing more to complain of, except some bodily weakness, and I found edema of the legs, for which I prescribed Lycop. 30, after which the edema rapidly went off, and the patient could again earn his living as a day laborer.

July, 1864.—The patient remains quite well.

No comments: